Prospective Marriage Visa

This visa allows you to enter Australia and marry your intended spouse (fiancé(e)) within the visa's 9 month validity period. A Prospective Marriage visa can only be applied for, and granted, outside Australia.

The fiancé(e) must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Once married, you can then apply to remain permanently in Australia.

With this visa, you:

  • must enter Australia before you marry your fiancé(é)
  • may leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish before your visa ceases (9 months after visa grant and cannot be extended)
  • are allowed to work in Australia
  • can apply for a Spouse visa in Australia after you marry your fiancé(é)
  • are allowed to study, but you will not have access to government funding
  • may use Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare, but only if you are in Australia and have already applied for a Spouse visa.

If you do not marry your fiancé(e) within the 9-month period of the Prospective Marriage visa, it may be cancelled and, if you are in Australia, you will have to leave Australia. You may not be able to remain in Australia and apply for a Spouse visa onshore.

If you marry a person other than your fiancé(e), you may still be able to lodge an application for a Spouse visa in Australia. However, in many cases, if you do not marry your fiancé(e) or if you marry another person instead, your Prospective Marriage visa may be cancelled and, if you are in Australia, you could be required to leave Australia.

Please contact us to discuss your requirements or click here for a detailed assessment of your particulars towards migration to Australia.

Request More Info