This permanent visa is for people whose all living near relatives are usually resident in Australia and are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.
This visa requires you to be sponsored by an eligible relative (or your relative's eligible spouse), in Australia.
In addition, you have to meet both the following conditions:
- You must have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia.
- You and your spouse should have no brothers and / or sisters (step or adopted), parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.
Your spouse and other family members may be included in your application if they meet the same (above) eligibility criteria i.e. they should not have any near relative other than those in Australia; and not have any near relative with a temporary entry visa.
If you are granted this visa you and your eligible family members can live in Australia as Australian permanent residents.
This visa also permits you to:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods and visa specific restrictions)
Other Family Visas
The most commonly used categories of family visas are parent and spouse visas. There are, however, other very niche visa categories for specific needs of families and relatives.