This visa category - inclusive of all its subclasses - is specifically for people who possess any one or more skills listed in the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
There are certain basic eligibility criteria that apply to ALL General Skilled Migration visas.
Basic Eligibility Criteria for General Skilled Migration Visas
To apply for a General Skilled Migration Visa you must:
- be less than 45 years old at the time of application; and
- possess a qualification that is equivalent to the Australian bachelor’s degree, diploma or trade qualification; and
- nominate an occupation from the approved Skilled Occupation List (SOL) ; and
- have at least 12 months (in the last 24 months) of experience in an occupation from the SOL, preferably the one you nominated, or one similar to it
- go through an assessment of skills (suitable for your occupation) by an assessing authority before you apply for the visa; and
- have at least 12 months (in the last 24 months) of full-time work experience in any occupation from the SOL, preferably the one you nominated, or closely related to it; or
- have successfully completed 2 years of full-time studies in Australia as an international student within 6 months of lodgement of a visa application; and
- submit acceptable scores of IELTS or OET tests as evidence of your competence in English Language.
General Skilled Migration Visa Categories
The skilled migration visa program has 9 visas and they are categorised into 3 types: offshore, onshore, and onshore New Zealand citizen.
These visas are divided into two major categories i.e. Permanent and Provisional and may be applied when the applicant/s is either onshore or offshore
Other Skilled Visas
- Offshore Skilled Migration Visas
- Onshore General Skilled Migration Scheme